In the year 1972 (forty years after our founding):
- The following people were born: Shaquille O’Neal, Jennie Garth
- Richard Nixon defeated George McGovern for President
- George Wallace was shot by Arthur Bremer
- Federal Express was started
- Summer Olympics in Munich was marred by terrorists
- Bobby Fisher won the world chess championship
- First major league baseball strike occurred
- The average cost of a new car was $3,853, a house was $27,600, and annual income was $11,859
- Hit songs were “American Pie” (Don McLean), “Lean on Me” (Bill Withers), and “Ben” ( Michael Jackson)
- “The Godfather” was an Academy Award winner. Also at the theatres were “Deliverance” and “The Poseidon Adventure”.
Meanwhile, back in Columbus… Otis LeMay and Sam Wellborn’s successors, Ross Robinson and Keith Grimes, have grown their accounting practices with the addition of partners Mims Oliver, Lev Norman, Ken Deaton and David Snipes. We are eight years away from a merger that will change the landscape of public accounting in Columbus.
More to come – hope you enjoy!!
Jay Pease - Audit Partner and Firm Historian