In the year, 1962 (thirty years after our founding)...
- The following people are born – Jim Carrey, Demi Moore, Roger Clemens
- Cuban Missile Crisis is averted
- John Glenn is 1st American to orbit the Earth – 3 times in 5 hours, 17,000 mph (wow!)
- K-Mart and Wal-Mart open their first stores
- First “pop-top” is test-marketed
- Marilyn Monroe is found dead of suicide
- 4 Brits record music for the first time, under the name “The Beatles”
- Johnny Carson hosts the “Tonight Show” for the first time
- Wilt Chamberlain scores 100 points in a basketball game
- Richard Nixon loses the California governor’s race, proclaiming “You won’t have me to kick around anymore, because, gentleman, this is my last press conference”
- The average cost of a new car is $2,924, a house is $12,550, annual income is $5,556
- Hit songs are “Big Girls Don’t Cry” (4 Seasons) and “Good Luck Charm” (Elvis Presley)
- Academy Award winner is “Lawrence of Arabia”
Meanwhile, back in Columbus… Otis LeMay and Sam Wellborn continue their separate accounting practices, with recent new partners Ross Robinson and Keith Grimes, respectively.
More to come – hope you enjoy!!
Jay Pease, Audit Partner (and Firm Historian)