As we celebrate our firm’s 80th anniversary, we thought we would share a few interesting facts. We will continue doing so throughout the year. These are courtesy of our Administrative Supervisor, Becky Meeks (no, she hasn’t been here the whole time... she just found a little book that we will pilfer from):
In the year, 1932 (the year of our founding) ……………:
- The following people were born – Elizabeth Taylor, Johnny Cash, Meadowlark Lemon, Little Richard, and Kasey Kasem
- Franklin Roosevelt defeated incumbent Herbert Hoover for President of the U.S.
- Prohibition ended
- The parking meter was invented in Oklahoma City
- The Zippo lighter was invented
- Miss America was………….. no one – The Miss America pageant had not begun yet
- The average cost of a new car was $610; a house was $6,515
- The annual income was $1,652 a year
- Gas cost $.10 a gallon
- Hit songs were “All of Me” by Louis Armstrong and “Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?” by Bing Crosby
And, most importantly, the predecessor to Robinson, Grimes, Mr. S.M. Wellborn began his accounting practice.
More to come – hope you enjoy!!
Jay Pease, Audit Partner (and Firm Historian)